Friday, February 17, 2012

ratkins.



This recipe was taught to me by my Grandpa when I was about 13. Now I see it popping up all over the place on Pinterest, called "Jalepeno Bacon Cream Cheese Poppers." To me, they'll always be simply:

Ratkins

1 pkg. bacon
about 15 jalepenos 
(the larger they are, usually the less heat they have)
2 pkgs. cream cheese or neufchatel cheese

1. Wash jalepenos, and cut in half lengthwise. Leave the stems on (this makes a little handle and is part of what gives them their name...because they look like little rats).
2. Using a small spoon, scrape out seeds and membranes (unless you like things really spicy, then leave the membranes in.
3. Fill each half level  with cream cheese (I use neufchatel because it's a third of the fat of regular cream cheese. In this appetizer, you can't really taste the difference. Besides, the bacon brings plenty of fat for flavor).
4. Wrap each half with about 1/3 to 1/2 of a strip of bacon.
5. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in a 425-435* oven for about 40 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked to your liking.
6. Take out of oven and let cool for a couple minutes (bacon grease is hot!).
7. Die and go to heaven. Because they're that good.

*These are simple enough to make, but can be a bit time consuming. Oh, and please be really careful not to touch your eyes when you're handling the jalepenos. Trust me, I've learned the hard way....more than once. 

Ever since I made these for TJ's family for something or other, they're now my assignment for every big game that requires food. Hence why I made them on Sunday (sorry it's too late for you to make it for the big game). If you're looking for a way to impress your man (or anyone) for Valentine's day (or any day), this is a winner: finger food and bacon (can't go wrong). If you're still working on a new diet resolution/fitness goal thing, I'm very sorry.